Site Map
 
HOME | PHOTO GALLERIES | MOVIES | ABOUT STRANDJA | ABOUT BULGARIA | ABOUT US |
Български French Deutsch Руский  
SEARCH
NAVIGATION
  Gramatikovo
SETTLEMENTSGramatikovoGRAMATIKOVO /
The largest Strandja village, having population of about 1000 is situated 34 km south from Tzarevo. There are several legends about the origins of Gramatikovo. Differing in plot, they all relate the founding of the village with medieval intellectuals - monks from the local monasteries or writers and theologians who accompanied Evtimii, the famous Bulgarian Patriarch in his journey to Asia where the Turks sent him on exile after they captured and burnt the capital Veliko Tarnovo in 1393. Evidently the first settlers' education was sufficiently impressive to earn the village its name Gramatikovo ("gramatik" meaning "man of grammar"). There are many archaeological remains, however, especially traces of full-cycle mining activity which show that the site of the village has been populated since Antiquity. The church of the Forty Martyrs from the XVIII century is the oldest Gramatikovo church. It was burnt by the Turks in 1877 and rebuilt after the Liberation. A black marble plate can be seen on the stone bell-tower, commemorating the names of the Gramatikovians who died in the Balkan Wars and World War One. The school, opened in early XIX century was one of the first in Strandja. Since 1936 Gramatikovo has been the seat of a forestry board, in which outstanding Bulgarian sylviculturists have worked for the improvement of the management of the Bulgarian forests as well as experimented with introduction of new plants such as the bamboo and the eucalyptus tree.
 
Gramatikovo
2004 Discoverstrandja.com back to top